International Relations Office

Required Documents

The documents listed below are needed from all international candidates. Only after presenting the originals of the documents mentioned below, a candidate will officially become a University of Lodz student. Sending the Confirmation Letter does not yet mean a candidate is officially admitted to the studies.

Please bear in mind that your certificates, diplomas, and transcripts, will have to bear the the stamp of legalization from the Polish Embassy of the country where the certificate, diploma or transcript was issued (except if the documents were issued in the country which is a part of the Hague Convention – then Apostille is needed). You may also be asked to provide an eligibility statement for your credentials, issued by appropriate educational authorities or consular office.

The candidate MUST legalize the required documents before or while applying for a student visa.

Please bear in mind that diplomas, transcripts, statements will still have to be translated by a sworn translator into Polish after your coming to Poland, due to the Polish law’s requirement. To read about the admission procedure, please visit here.

Required documents:

  • Application Form with attached photo

Application form (generated and printed from the IRK Admission platform) in which he/she clearly states his/her personal data and chooses one of the offered fields of studies. There are 3 options in the application in case the first choice does not open for some reason.

  • Original school certificates and diplomas

A certificate confirming their graduation from the high school is required for candidates applying for Bachelor’s Degree Studies. For those applying for Master’s Degree Studies – a certificate proving graduation from Bachelor’s Degree Studies and the high school certificate.

All school certificates/diplomas must be legalized in the country of their origin (eg. if you received a diploma in Vietnam, legalization needs to be done in the Polish Embassy in Hanoi; if you are a citizen of Ghana learning in Russia and you have a high school certificate from Ghana – it needs to be legalized in the Polish Embassy in Nigeria). If the country of origin is a part of the Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement for Legalization for Foreign Public Documents, the documents must have an Apostille.

  • Transcript of Records

The candidate is required to present a transcript of records – a grade sheet – showing the academic achievements at school (subjects, grades, credits). A secondary school transcript may be called “testimonial” in some countries. It is advisable to include an explanation of how the grading system works in the country the certificate(s) come from (ie. which grades are the best, and which are the poorest) e.g. 6 – excellent, 5- very good, etc. The transcript of academic records needs to be legalized (or bear an Apostille). The secondary school transcript (if on a separate sheet) should also be legalized or have the Apostille.

  • Eligibility statement proving that the certificate/diploma allows the candidate to study at the university level in their country

For the process of qualification recognition (a validation of foreign studies and degrees), the candidate is also required to provide an eligibility statement that their certificates and diplomas allow them to study at the university level in the country they were issued. If such  statement is not already written on the certificate and/or diploma, the candidate is obliged to visit the Ministry of Education in the country where the documents were given, a consulate or a diplomatic post of that country in Poland. The statement can (but usually is not mandatory to) be legalized in the Polish Embassy of the documents’ origin or have the Apostille.

Eligilibity statement does not have to be provided by citizens of EU, EEA, OECD, Ukraine, Belarus and China.

  • Cover Letter (signed)

Faculties require that the candidate writes a cover letter. Writing a convincing and well structured cover letter helps the candidate to clarify his/her own ideas on what they expect from the studies and give the reason why they want to start a particular field of studies. Moreover, it provides the university with some knowledge about the candidate’s interests, background and future plans. It must be written by the candidate, and should not be a reference letter written by someone else.

How to write a cover letter – read more:

The cover letter should:
* help you to clarify your own ideas on what you want to do and why over your period of studies;
* provide us with some knowledge on your interests, background and future plans;
* outline why you decided to choose this particular study programme.
We highly recommend including the following information:
*general information about an education history and any additional qualifications of the candidate;
*information on language skills / competences;
*employment history in brief;
*additional information regarding the candidate’s experience;
*the name and address of at least one referee.
Please, keep in mind all the points mentioned above while composing your letter.

  • Health insurance policy

Upon arrival, the candidate needs to have a health insurance policy valid in Poland for the period of the studies. It is obligatory. Most candidate buy health insirance in their home country to cover the travel and first few months of stay in Poland. Later the candidate can buy another health insurance policy in Poland – a student should be insured at all times while studying in Poland.

  • Language certificate

A certificate confirming the candidate’s level of English is required. A candidate whose documents confirm schooling in English, may not be required to present any additional language certificate.

University of Lodz accepts the following English Language certificates:
– First Certificate in English (FCE),
– Certificate in Advanced English (CAE),
– Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE),
– Business English Certificate (BEC) Vantage,
– Business English Certificate (BEC) Higher,
– Certificate in English for International Business and Trade (CEIBT),
– English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL),
– International English Language Testing System (IELTS) more than 6 points;
– Test of an English as Foreign Language (TOEFL):
* at least 87 points in Internet-Based Test (iBT);
* at least 180 points in Computer-Based Test (CBT) supplemented with 50 points in Test of Spoken English (TSE);
*at least 510 points in Paper-Based Test (PBT) supplemented with at least 3,5 points in Test of Written English (TWE) and with at least 50 points in Test of Spoken English (TSE)
* at least 700 points in International Communication (TOEIC);

  • Administrative Fee

For candidates from the EU the administrative fee is 85 PLN, for candidates from outside the EU, 20 EUR. It is a non-reimbursable administrative fee. Please note that the 20 Euro has to be paid before submiting the application. Proof of payment is required after arrival to Poland.

  • Tuition Fee (if applicable)

The tuition fee for the academic year differs with each faculty and the field of studies. The average yearly fee is 2.500EUR – to find out the exact amount, please go here. Proof of payment is required after arrival to Poland.

  • Signed Statutory Obligation (a candidate will download it from the IRK Admission platform, or can download it here), stating that in case the candidate is admitted for studies he/she shall recognize his/her documents by the end of the first semester. In addition it states an obligation to have valid insurance, sworn translation of documents and valid contact data. Please read it very carefully before you sign it.
  • Accommodation Request if needed

Students wishing to obtain a room in the university dormitory need to fill in the Accommodation request (a place in the university dormitory in a double room costs between 280PLN-440PLN a month). The University has a limited number of rooms, so the accommodation will be provided to the students according to the date of  submitting the Accommodation Request and finishin the admission process successfully. The information about the dormitory place will be sent out via email in the second half of August. If a student is not provided with a place in the dorm,  ISO will send a list of places where a candidate can search for an accommodation. All the information about how to apply for a place in the dormitory can be found here.


School certificate/diploma and eligibility statement must be translated to polish by a sworn translator after arrival to Poland.The procedure must be finished by the end of the 1st semester.

Candidate has to submit the documents on-line via admission platform

– e-mail:
– tel: +48 42 635 42 37
– post: University of Lodz
International Relations Office
Uniwersytecka 3
90-137 Lodz, Poland

If the candidate is admitted, he/she is obliged to deliver all original documents to the office upon arriving in Poland until 30.09.2021 the latest. Only then a candidate can officially become a student of the University of Lodz.

Join us on Facebook:

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann