These are the most commonly asked questions:
- My studies were in English, do I still have to provide a language certificate?
Generally, not. In some cases, it is required to arrange a phone conversation for an interview with the Faculty Coordinator. It is important for us to know what country you studied in and make sure you write a good Cover Letter.
- How can I pay for the application fee?
After you successfully go through Stage 1, you will be given the bank account number to pay for the application fee.
- What happens after I make the payment for the 1 year academic session and
I do not get a VISA from the Polish Embassy?
If you pay a tuition fee for the first year of your studies and then fail to get a Polish visa, the tuition fee will be fully reimbursed (repaid) to you.
- Is it possible to pay the tuition fee (2,500 EUR) later? Let’s say, in August?
Yes, August is fine. September might be too late in some cases: we will need to confirm your payment with the accounting office, and send an Acceptance letter to you, and you will need to apply for a visa.
- I have just sent you my credentials and the application form. Can I pay the application fee right away?
This may not be a good idea, please wait until an initial acceptance is made.
- Will you pay back the application fee (200 EUR) to me if I do not get a VISA?
Unfortunately not. This fee is non-reimbursable.
- Can I pay the application fee from my friend’s bank account?
Yes, provided the payment description includes your name and chosen study programme.
- Can I pay the equivalent of the application fee or tuition fee in dollars?
No. Our account receives payments in Euro.
- I have just paid the application fee and sent you the proof of payment. When can I expect my Confirmation Letter to be issued?
We will issue the Confirmation Letter as soon as we confirm the payment with our accounting office.
This takes about a week.
- You have informed me that you got 185 Euro instead of 200. I don’t think it was my fault, as you have seen on the payment proof – what can I do to make up for this?
Sometimes it happens that a smaller amount of money arrives than the applicant intended, which is due to the transfer bank charges. In such cases we ask the applicant to make an extra transfer to make the fee complete. This is the way we fix it, but it also makes us wait again for the confirmation, which may take another week. Please make sure with your bank this will not happen again.
- Is a confirmation letter the same as an acceptance letter?
Confirmation letter is not an acceptance letter – it is just to inform the Embassy
that you are applying to the UL and have paid the application fee. We assume that a Confirmation Letter is enough for the legalization of your documents at the Polish Embassy.
- How can I send the application form and other documents?
The fastest way is you use e-mail and attached scans. You can choose to send them via traditional mail as well as via e-mail.
- Who makes an initial decision that I can proceed with Second Stage?
Your grades and application is verified by the Faculty Coordinator (PhD or Professor of UL) who makes their decision. This usually takes about a week, but may take anything from 2 days to 2 weeks.
- I am a citizen of an EFTA country, which is not a member of the EU. How much is my application fee?
Your application fee is 55 PLN, paid in PLN.
- When am I expected to pay for my room in a dorm?
You are expected to pay the accommodation costs shortly after your arrival in Lodz (cost approx. 80EUR a month, room for 2). Be aware that there is also a 1 time deposit paid in the first month which is given back to you at the end of the academic year. It is approx. 175EUR.
- I still haven’t got my WAEC certificate issued. I sent you my high school transcript and the scratch card details, so you can verify my results online – will this be enough?
Not really. Though, it may be enough to make an initial decision on strict condition that you provide the original soon. We do need to see your original WAEC Certificate (just as is the case with any high school leaving certificate), and you should preferably send its scan or copy to us before late August.
- I want to ask you about the cover letter . Do I have to write my name and everything about me and why I want to study there?
Yes, preferably. Most faculties require a cover letter to make their initial decision.
- I am applying for postgraduate (MA) studies and have already sent you my BA diploma, together with the transcript. Do I still have to send you my high school leaving certificate?
Yes, since this is a general UL regulation.
- Do I have to legalize my Birth Certificate?
No. This is unnecessary.
- My date of birth on my WAEC Certificate is different from the one in my passport. Can I still apply?
Since WAEC make no alterations to their certificates, we will ask you for a Sworn Affidavit of correction of date of birth, available at the Magistrate Courts. If you are able to support this, you can proceed with your application.
- I can’t get a scan of my passport because my document is in process in our migration office. Can I start my application with my other documents or do I have to wait for my passport to be issued?
You can start the application without your passport but we won’t issue a Confirmation Letter without your passport data. We will ask you for it around mid-July at the latest.